Main-à-Dieu Community Development Association
The Main-à-Dieu & Area Community Development Association (MCDA) is a not-for-profit volunteer organization incorporated since 1995 under the Nova Scotia Societies Act. The Association is dedicated to assisting economic and social development in the following communities: Main-à-Dieu, Bateston, Little Lorraine, Baleine and Catalone. Membership of the Association is open, free of charge, to all residents over 16.
The overarching vision of the Association is to establish and sustain Main-à-Dieu and area as an economically prosperous and socially vibrant network of communities, attractive and enriching as both a place to visit and a place to live. In pursuit of its general mandate, the MCDA seeks:
- To raise funds in support of community development projects aimed at providing services and amenities otherwise unavailable to both residents and visitors
- In close association with the local parish and other interested parties, to organize and coordinate a calendar of community events aimed both at providing leisure and entertainment for residents and visitors and at raising funds to in support of the Association’s various projects
- To involve all residents as fully and regularly as possible in the decision-making and activities of the Association
- To raise the profile and increase the attractiveness of the area as an important tourist attraction on the Marconi Trail
- To ensure that 100% of all funds raised by the Association are deployed both to cover the costs of Association activities and in support of the Association’s core community development objectives
- To work cooperatively and constructively with communities outside our Association’s area, both along the Marconi Trail and more broadly, in order to maximize the effectiveness of small not-for-profit volunteer organizations such as our own in enhancing the prosperity and quality-of-life of all Cape Bretoners.